Thursday, August 14, 2008

東京④

7/28

Mr. Awkward flaked out on me, so I went for a run alone. I know, I know, probably not the smartest thing, but I didn't go off into any seedy areas (mostly just circled around the campus a few times)and I have to say I feel pretty darn safe in Tokyo. As compared to Seattle, where I feel on edge even just walking from my car to class, there was a complete lack of feeling like I could at any moment be a victim. Maybe it was the lack of creepy homeless people, the lack of graffiti and dingy alleyways, or the Kobans every few blocks, but I imagine I'll be going out with or without a jogging partner.

I was exhausted, as usual in this weather, and because I left an hour early, pre-breakfast. I ended my run at Starbucks, which just so happens to open its doors right at 7am, which is perfect timing for me. I did bring my credit card this time =)

First day of classes today - like the overachieving fool I am, I'm signed up for both workshop sections in the afternoon, which makes my daily schedule 9am-6pm with one hour for lunch...this week is gonna suck serious balls.

Classes were good - I have another teacher who insists on speaking at least 3 times faster than normal, but at least she has very crisp pronunciation or I'd never catch anything she says.

Workshops were intersting - this week its "Listening to the News" and "Literature by Foregin Writers".

After classes, I was pretty damn tired, but I ended the night by making a short trek out to Shinjuku again with Tara to find the Loft, where she intends to go tomorrow to buy tickets for a show.

I foresee very few entries this week...just workout, class, dinner, bed. Yay.

No comments: