Wednesday, July 30, 2008

鴨川セミナーハウス:2週間/ Kamogawa Seminar House: 2 Weeks (8)...

7/19

Got up around 6am, but with most people sleeping in or hung-over, I decided to just go down to the tennis courts and do some aerobics/anaerobics for a while. It worked out pretty well – I did five-minute sets of alternating aerobics (running in place, jumping jacks, skiis) and anaerobics (squats, lunges, and the strength band I brought). I did it for about 35 minutes, and then I came up and did another few minutes of abs. Not too bad.

Soon after we headed out for the beach on the other side of the peninsula, where we would be watching and/or participating in dragnet fishing. Cool.

They put us on charter buses again, which is nice, and this time there was a lady (maybe she was there on the way over?) who had her little tour guide routine down pretty good. She sounded like most people in sales/customer service do when she spoke Japanese, but her English was a little odd…mostly she sounded, at times, like some kind of witch, and she’d dropped her pitch real low at peculiar times and cackle, which was amusing.

The beach is really pretty – a bit more of a tourist spot than the one near the seminar house, based on all the people there with their kids and setting up camp with umbrellas and such.




Unfortunately, the more isolated from the big city you get, the more 和式 things become…and the public toilets were one of them.

Now, I’m not much for squatting anyway, but I completely forgot about the horizontal urinals they use. Jeez. Luckily I brought lots of wipes, especially as there was no soap, and no paper towels.



That’s the one thing I dislike about Japan – those stupid fucking toilets.

The weather was absolutely scorching…but wet. I step out of any air conditioned area and I’m immediately sticky again, even the palms of my hands. Yek.

I wore my blue sandals, seeing as I nearly ruined my other sandals by wearing them to the beach. But, that means I’ll have to very covertly sneak them out to the tennis court area or something so I can wash them and keep using them as inside slippers. Sheesh.

We got there and almost immediately were called over to start hauling in this reeeeeaaaaaaallllllyyyyyy long fishing line. We must have been pulling on it for ten minutes before we finally saw the net.



It looked like, for a while, that we’d only caught two fish, but the other net coming in next to us caught a bucketful. There was this cute little Japanese boy who was screaming and playing with the fish, at one point holding it up to his ear and going “Moshi moshi?”. LOL




We had a BBQ after that, and I ended up just eating a little yakisoba. I’m not a huge seafood fan, and picnic-style cooking like that often lacks a certain sanitation that I like to think my food is being prepared in. Plus, I don’t do shellfish.

Afterwards we dinked around on the beach, playing with the beachball for a while, somewhat unsuccessfully because it was so windy out on the water.

But, OMGWTFBBQ! What a dumbass I was – totally fried my entire backside and shoulders and chest. I will admit I was hoping to get a little burnt and work on my tan, but I’m like a beet. Well, not that bad, but its gonna be a rough few days. Shoulda worn my f*cking sunscreen…jeez.

No comments: