Wednesday, July 30, 2008

鴨川セミナーハウス:2週間/ Kamogawa Seminar House: 2 Weeks (5)

7/16

Class as usual, and today we had the first round of 討論会 (debate). I'm in the second flight, but both groups did very well, and I think I'll be all right if I can only just keep myself from spontaneously combusting in a fire of my own nervousness.

The most memorable event of the day was the BBQ down at the tennis courts. I ended up talking with Mr. Awkward again, and we discussed a number of things, one of which was how a Buddhist would take to being in Hell…as well as various infamous one liners, one of which had to do with being involved in some kind of drinking game and what was said therein...and which shall not be repeated here.

The BBQ included drinks, yakisoba, various vegetables and some beef and seafood. Really tasty.




But I continued to hang out with Mr. Awkward the rest of the evening. He’s a really interesting guy, and the banter is most entertaining, and refreshingly engaging and unguarded after maintaining such a surface intimacy with most people. A little bit like someone else I know...

Anyway, I ate way too much food, Hisa-san (the surfer-esque RA) talked with us, and was at one point subjected to things like the “Zinger” and various broken-Japanese explanations of the many lewd American hand-gestures by the rest of my gainjin peers, and lots of fun was had all around. Later,once we'd gone inside to escape the hordes of mosquitoes, Mr. Awkward told me, after a conversation that somehow came to a turning point with my suggesting that he was “made of win” (a funny little pseudo-internet meme/phrase I’d heard), how he was kinda-sorta-not-really involved with the now infamous YouTube pheonomenon called Anonymous (which I heard about after one of my favorite bloggers mentioned the call to arms by Annonymous to wage war on Scientology. I’m going to take everything he tells me with a grain or ten of salt, but it was interesting: he'd read some pretty wild stuff, including a live-blogging “Lolita” story, and also kept abreast of the various “trolling” activities of Anonymous in its pre-YouTube days. Which could just as easily be a bunch of bullshit, but its worth checking out when I have private WWW access.

Hmmm….

No comments: